Spring has finally arrived in Porto and cold winter evenings´ travel destination researches have come to an end. Countdown has started, 1 day until departure. However we are faced with a ridiculous situation when a planned trip can turn into a totally spontaneous one. When planning a trip you have to narrow down your search, by taking into consideration various factors. I will tell you why we picked Croatia as our travel destination.
Our choice – Balkans
Balkans is a part of Europe I had never visited and was curious about. When picking the country we various factors:
- The season
- The affordability
- Proximity to mountains, natural landscape
- It needed to be in EU (lack of passport)
- The diversity
- The size
- The plane ticket cost (this one failed us)
And the winner is – Croatia!!!!!
I was pondering about this one for quite a while. Actually I wanted to go to Montenegro and see one of Europe´s deepest canyons ( around 1,300 meters). These parameters make the Tara River Canyon one of the deepest river canyons in Europe, it is protected as a part of Durmitor National Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site. However the tickets were pretty expensive plus my partner did not have a passport. So I opened google maps and explored the countries. all the attractions I would like to do and landscapes that would fill my soul. Croatia.. what´s that Croatia?…Everyone is talking about it.. is it overrated?…or is it really something?
Summarising my research.
- The prices had increased since they entered EU, however they still have their currency which is interesting.
- They also have sea, which makes it twice appealing.
- They have a stretch of Balkan mountains, they have beautiful historical towns and listen carefully: 8 national parks! Jesus! If you look at the map – it´s a completely green place on Adriatic coast.
- They have wild rivers which tend to be full of water in the spring (when water from melting snow is coming down the mountains).
- The season. Perfect to avoid tourists and warm enough to walk in t-shirt.
- The flights. Normally around 100 – 150 eur one way, there´s no direct flights from Portugal unfortunately.
So I jumped a bit from country to country until one day, after going through daily kiwi, skyscanner etc. flight searches, I noticed a massive price drop for ryanair flights. With no hesitation we bought two flights (with connection in Brussels-CRL) to Zadar – 45 eur per person. That´s a bargain right? It really is, IF you catch the second flight :D.
So we have purchased a flight through Brussels with a 50 minute overlay (separate ryanair tickets). Weeks passed and I started to check the flights for the return ticket (which was still pretty high – around 100 per person) and I noticed that what I thought was an hour overlay, was actually a 50 min overlay. I entered in panic. I researched, I wrote in forums, I checked the airport webpage – everything to make sure we could actually make it. Nevertheless I had done short connecting flights previously, every situation and airport is different.
What will I do if I miss my flight?
I will go with the flow. I have a plan A, B and C. Which one I will choose, you will find in my next post.
Did I make it?
Read the next post!
Thanks for reading.